Friday, March 3, 2017

Well known or known not

When I had begun my mission, a lack of proficiency in Spanish sometimes frustrated me. I knew that I would become a better speaker and listener as I studied and practiced, but I often desired to know it well quickly. Sometimes, my companion and I would come across someone that had more than a mouthful to say about the church, and my companion was stuck trying to explain things to a critic, and to no avail. During those moments, I was rather grateful that I couldn't speak Spanish well, and that I couldn't understand what they were saying! So it wasn't a complete inconvenience.

I bring this up, because I'm reminded of these instances as I ponder the unanswered questions in my life, in modern science, and in the gospel. One of these things is how the Lord created the earth, and how evolution takes place in the eternal rounds of God's heavenly plan. There is definite evidence that evolutionary theory is more than a 'belief', and strong spiritual confirmation is bestowed upon many about the truthfulness of the restored gospel.  While contemplating both, here is a scripture to keep in mind:

Articles of Faith
9 We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

God has revealed many things, he is revealing many things, and he has yet to show us SO MUCH! I'm positive that there is more that we don't know about the natural world and the Lord's ways than what we do know. We may feel tendencies to be impatient or doubtful when we cannot surmise a logical explanation between physical and spiritual phenomenon, but it is comforting to know that our Heavenly Father is still teaching us, individually and collectively, many great and wonderful things, and in time we will know all things.

We can keep this in mind when we don't find the answer to a controversial question immediately, when we are struggling to find revelation, or when we simply aren't understanding some aspect of our life at the time. Diligence, faith, and patience are the correct ingredients prescribed by Alma to grow and flourish. (I wonder, however, which would represent carbon dioxide and such?)

No comments:

Post a Comment