Saturday, April 15, 2017

Uncertainty certainly is certain

If you are like me, you enjoy making a plan of how things will turn out, and how things ought to be. I create a plan of how each day will go, how each week will end up, and how every semester will follow through. I'm currently working on a graduation plan that will let me double major. However, I have seen time and time again that my plans do not come to pass exactly how I had planned them and that they often get changed altogether. Sometimes, it can make me rather frustrated, being that I can't determine what my near future will yield. Along with that, there are things that I cannot plan, which can be crucially important. Even the most meticulous planner will be foiled when she or he embarks in the realm we call life. "Drat! My plans have been foiled", says the planner, so dependent on what she or he had previously determined what would happen.

The Gospel teaches us that we must not only expect uncertainty in our lives, but be able to adapt to whatever comes our way and adjust our attitudes and lifestyles accordingly. It is fortunate that we can receive revelation and guidance for what we ought to do in unplanned circumstances. The Lord revealed the method of receiving revelation in D&C 8:

2 Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
3 Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground.

The Lord will reveal to us certain truths to our hearts and our minds, but he will do it when we demonstrate faith in him, when we take steps into the uncertain future.  This is demonstrated by referring to Moses crossing the red sea with the children of Israel. They had to demonstrate their faith and walk into the unknown before the sea was parted. To me, this scripture is saying that we need to take the next step if we want to know what the next step is. The Lord will reveal what we need to know when we are ready to receive it, but he will do it in his own time and at the right time. I'm posting this because I'm quite anxious about what can happen in the next three weeks of my life, but if you are you, I hope that you can take a step of faith with me and trust in the Lord, because we will not let us down.

1 comment: