Sunday, December 13, 2015

2015.12.07 Independencia

In December, drinking horchata, I look psychotic...

Hey Mom!
That´s great that it arrived, Dillon is the best (not Elder J anymore...dang) [Note to reader: Davis sent a gift on the plane with a returning missionary who mailed it to us when he arrived home.] It sounds like the footlocker race was really fun and that thanny had a busy birthday.

Service projects are a good excuse to use machetes.
We did another service project this week. We went to the area of the zone leaders and cut grass and bushes in a park. it was tough and took a while because we only had machetes and some other tools, but I learned to use a machete really well! President and Sister Mcarthur came too, and it was a fun service project.

Baptism of Hermano J
Also, we had a baptism this week! Hermano J was baptized by his neighbor and dear friend JM. Hermano J has never been one to understand much of what we teach him, and less to remember what we teach him, but he has recieved the spirit of God and knows for himself that this church is true. He has humbled himself and repented of his sins, and now he has made a sacred covenant with God. It as pretty funny actually in his baptism. The members took a little time to go into the primary room for the baptism, so Hermano J said "Ya, I don´t want to wait anymore, I want to get baptized" so he went by the stairs that lead into the font and he was just about ready to jump in! We started, sang a hymn, said a prayer and shared one tiny little message and he was in there! hahahaha! Isn´t that great? I´m glad he was so excited to get baptized. He´s not a very social old man, but after his baptism he hugged every person that came. That was a great experience.

Remembering the MTC is a "Back to the Future" moment.
This week, Elder T and I probably had one of the most spiritual experiences of our missions. Last sunday, we had found an old lady named S, along with her husband J. They´re both very old and J can´t see or walk. That day we taught a little bit about baptism and authority and they accepted the invitation to be baptized. We returned on tuesday and that day she was very stressed, because she is having some problems with her family, a lost son and an angry grandson. Her and her husband both felt very bad in terms of health, and so instead of teaching them, we felt inspired to explain to them what a blessing is and see if they would like to recieve one. They have great faith and we gave them each a blessing of comfort and counsel. They were very greatful, and I was as well, that we could hold the priesthood and serve others with the responsiblity that the Lord had given us. Later, on friday (I was on divisions so I was not there) Elder T went to visit them and Hermana S was very ill with a fever and all. They  gave her another blessing and went to buy her medacine and dispense. I had seen her in the morning that day, before starting the divisions, and she did look pretty bad. Then, Saturday, we went and visited her, and she looked much better, much healthier. She told us about how she felt terrible and abandoned on friday, but how special that blessing was that my companion and the other Elder had given her was. She said that in that moment, she felt that God was speaking directly to her, and that he told her "Te mando que te esfuerces y seas valiente." or in enlgish "be strong and of good courage." Elder T and I were literaly stunned! and Elder T told her that was actually a scripture, and opened up to Joshua 1:9. She then bore us her testimony (not even knowing what a testimony is!) and said "I know that the my Heavenly Father spoke to me through the Holy Ghost that day, and that he loves me and that everything will be alright. I know what you [missionaries] are sent by God and share the truth, and that you do his will." That´s from what I remember, she said a little bit more than that, but it was amazing, and the spirit was stronge the whole lesson. That was probaly the smoothest, easiet lesson I have ever taught of the restoration of the gospel. She had read the pamplet before and said "I know it´s all true, the holy ghost told me, I just have a question or two about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon." After the lesson she said. "I know that it is all true, and that everything you are going to share with me is true." She wasn´t able to come to church with her husband, because they´re still recovering from being ill, but they will sure come the next sunday. I was so happy after that lesson I think I shouted "Hoorah for Israel!"

So, I probably only have one week left in independencia, or at least I´m guessing. Next sunday we will go to the chapel in the Temple to watch the Temple dedication of the Tiajuana, Baja California Temple, so that will be pretty awesome.

I haven´t got the package yet, but who knows it´s probably in the offices now. Let me know what you´re going to do for Christmas, I don´t know what I´m going to do yet, or where I´m going to be! (Mars)

Love,

Elder Davis Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment