Friday, February 3, 2017

"For the power is in them"

I have been rather curious about genetic engineering and designer babies for quite some time, and I have been thinking about it quite a bit this week. It's a rather controversial topic, and it's not easy to discuss. Something people fear is that designer babies will create a society where those that are genetically enhanced look down upon those who are not. A misconception of genetic engineering is that a person can be programmed to a point and that the person's life would be outlined. That technology is far away from existing, but even if it did, that concept would still be false. Our lives are not determined by our genes. It's not determined by psychological theories or any ideologies for that matter.

I was reading In Doctrine & Covenants this morning, and I found some scriptures that inspired me. They inspired me in a notion to continue in my interest for genetic engineering and to seek revelation to see what God can tell me about it, but as I write this I see that they can be applied in another way.

D&C 58:
 27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

 28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.

D&C 90:
24 Search diligently, pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good, if ye walk uprightly and remember the covenant wherewith ye have covenanted one with another.

D&C 123:
17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

D&C 58: 27-28 grabbed my attention. I realized that there are many things in existence that can be used either for good or evil. We can make a conscious effort to bring to pass much righteousness, as the scripture says.

Basically, the inspiration I received was to continue to investigate the issue of genetic engineering and designer babies. That's what I'll do. But on that wise, I realize that no matter our genetic makeup, we determine who we will be. Of course, we cannot control our genotypes or phenotypes, but we have been given power to be agents unto ourselves. Scientific studies are part of God's plan, and they provide great information on human health, composition and behavior. But these findings shouldn't limit us in anyway, they are to empower us. Above all, Heavenly Father has given us our agency so that we can become more like him; to act instead of bein acted upon.

Whatever you strive for, don't limit yourself! Keep trying, keep getting back, keep moving forward.

Also, check out this TED talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment