Thursday, February 9, 2017

Willing Spirit Over Weak Flesh

I often think about what motivates me, and what gives me drive. Here are a couple of things that motivate me:
Inspiring poems
Coming of Age movies
Statues of families
Rocky soundtrack
Pep talks to myself in the mirror
A cute girl (who else do I strive to impress?)
Chocolate milk
Outstanding individuals excelling in whatever they do best.
My mom's pep talks (they're the best)

With that list in mind (I could probably continue with it) I think what I should credit most to my will to move on is the power of prayer. Jesus once said to his disciples that the spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak. When we was with the Nephites, he taught them this:

3 Nephi 18:

18 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, ye must watch and pray always lest ye enter into temptation; for Satan desireth to have you, that he may sift you as wheat.

 19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;

 20 And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.

As humans, we naturally want to do what's easiest. We naturally want to put in minimum effort and conserve energy for...the next time we need to conserve energy. Life is full of things that require our energy, whether it be mental, physical, or spiritual. We all have a finite amount of energy, and sometimes things can be too strenuous, even if we are putting in a great amount of effort. However, I know that we can summon strength, spiritual and physical, from the Lord through prayer. Power to overcome temptation. Power to carry on in a difficult time or task. Power to be cheerful amidst adverse aspects of life. As verse 20 says, it can be given to us if we are believing. The energy we need to progress in this life can be found through faithful prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment