Monday, July 13, 2015

2015.07.13 Independencia (Center of Monterrey)

Davis' new area is just South of his first area, San Nicolas.
Dear Mom, 

Thanks for sharing with me that lesson. It`s always good to re learn those things. But don`t say that I already know it. Maybe I do, but I got to keep learning over and over to strengthen my testimony and remember my covenants. Do you remember the talk by the french bishop in this past conference? "Is the gospel still wonderful to you?" And he says "I`ve already read the scriptures, there`s nothing new for me there." This cuts our faith off from progression. We had a lesson with a recent convert that`s preparing to go to the temple (she`s super awesome, and she`s Elder J`s convert too) and we talked about Alma 32 and giving nutrition to our faith. She said "When your faith is growing like a seed into a tree, and you say "I already know it" you`re basically pulling out the root, or chopping down your tree...with that state of mind your faith won`t be able to grow." Those were some wise words. I`m not saying this to you specifically, this is just something I learned.

Looks like everything is going great over there. Do you see how Nathaniel is like me? But with creme brulee and not chocolate milk! ahahha. but anyway...

Do you remember when Brother Johnson gave a talk and he said that God liked baseball and he read genesis 1:1 "in the Big...inning"?

Well he was right, Heavenly Father does play baseball, and he threw me a curveball this week.

I`M NOT IN CIENEGA DE FLORES ANYMORE! We were in a lesson with one of our progressing investigators when we got the call that I was going to be transferred. Honestly it was tough news. Our last Sunday was so great, M and her family were progressing and Elder T and I had figured out a great program to pump up the enthusiasm of the Church. But, I got called that I was going to be with a new missionary in a new area.

My new companion is Elder R. He`s from Cancun and he`s just out of the MTC in Mexico City. He`s a nice guy, and he`s really excited to be a missionary. He`s kind of quiet though, and he doesn`t know much. He doesn`t know much about the book of mormon and he doesn`t know anything about the bible. It`s ok though because that isn`t required to serve a mission. D&C 4:3 "Therefore, I you have desires to serve God, you are called to the work." It doesn`t say knowledge or charisma or any of that. He has a testimony that the church is true and that the Book of Mormon is true and that is what matters. Notwithstanding...I`ve got a lot to teach.
 
Birds eye view of the Barrio Independencia church building.
My new area is called Independencia. It`s right by the Center of Monterrey, just on the other side of the almost dry Santa Catarina river. It`s on the side of a hill, and there are a lot of stairs. I think it`s pretty cool. We started from scratch because the missionaries before us didn`t have anything to leave us. But we talked to everyone we could, and know we have found a family that we are now teaching. Barely, we found them on Saturday, but they feel like the kind of people that are ready to receive the blessings of the restored gospel and make sacred covenants with God. I`m going to do my best to share more personal experiences and teach the people, not lessons. With this family, we asked one of the young men (Thanny`s age) to offer a prayer to start. The sincerity of the prayer is what really invited the spirit. In his prayer he described various problems and challenges that he had gone through in his life and that he was grateful to God for helping him out of tough situations. After the prayer, they were are a little bit teary and ready to listen. We taught about the comforter of the gift of the holy ghost and how they can receive it through baptism. They feel the need to get baptized, now it`s just up to them to read the Book of Mormon and receive an answer to their prayers.

Oh, did I tell you that our new Mission President, President McArthur is Awesome!? Well He is!

I don`t trust this cyber, so I`m not going to send you any pictures, sorry.

But I love you so much!!!!!!! You guys are the best!


Elder Garner

No comments:

Post a Comment